Sunday, February 8, 2009

Let's just dive right into it, I love Kings of Leon. I'm sure most of you have heard of them by now. Their latest cd, Only By The Night, is climbing the charts as we speak. Your tv and radio are getting in on the action, blasting "Sex on Fire" every chance they get. I mean, when a whole episode of Gossip Girl seems to be dedicated to promoting this album, you know they've made it. As a fan of GG and especially of KOL can I just piss and moan for a minute about the use of SOF as a background to the burgeoning (and completely boring) love of Serena and the complicated artist Aaron. Or, what about playing Be Somebody to display Little J's angst while watching her clothing designs burn in the alley? These songs, and especially this band, deserved a much better coming out party. About 5 years ago my southern friend Josh handed me Youth and Young Manhood to borrow. I immediately ripped it to my computer and would continuously put songs onto mixed cd's for the never-ending trips to my hometown of Portsmouth. I fell in love with California Waiting, Red Morning Light and Happy Alone. The whole cd was more than listenable all the way through and as we all know, that is a rarity in these days of artist packaging rather than quality music.
When they released their second cd, Aha Shake Heartbreak, I found more of the southern fried goodness that was on their first, but this was even better. Taper Jean Girl was certainly a standout, but my favorite has to be the very fun Soft. A song so happy with its delightful lead guitar that you would never guess it's about ED without listening to the lyrics carefully. Caleb had a way with lyrics that was different than anything else that I had heard to date. Twisting words and phrases that shouldn't make sense and making them work. Unrefined to say the least, but that's their style and that's what it's all about. They had found their niche and were perfecting it. 3 brothers and a cousin making up the band, they were different. Definitely a throwback to guitar heavy, southern, garage rock it never for a minute felt gimmicky or unreal. This was just who these boys were, they didn't know any better, they were just being themselves.
I know KOL has always had a strong fanbase, but not big enough to help them make a dent on the charts or warrant gigs at big arenas. I could never understand it, where is everyone? Why aren't people having conversations about them at work? When I walk into the Royal Lounge, why is Black Betty playing again and not Milk? But, to find out they were huge in Europe was no surprise. The Europeans have it down. From the afternoon siestas to the dinners at 10pm, they know how to live. We, on the otherhand, are behind the times on some things, KOL definitely being a big one. But, I did my part. I put their songs on mixed cds that I handed out to friends, hoping a couple would catch on and they did. With both cds that followed they just got better and better. Because of the Times, brilliant. Coupling dirty, sexy music with tales of visiting desert brothels and their faith in God. Their lyrics were deeper and more tangible. On Call, Knocked Up, Charmer, My Party, wow. They dedicated a song on this album to their Euro fans called, in fact, Fans.
With their latest cd it's more than a commercial success, they finally won. Sold out venues not only in Europe, but all over the US, including the recent sold out concert at Madison Square Garden. Even I didn't see that one coming. Out of selfishness I cannot help but be a bit sad. All of their new acclaim means I will probably never see them again in intimate settings like Lifestyles Pavilion. They will undoubtedly play bigger venues where I will have to pay 3 x the price to see them from the front row. Not like last month when all I had to do was wait outside in a snowstorm for an hour and half to be upfront. It was worth every frozen appendage. This new cd deserves every bit of attention it is getting. Another album full of great songs from front to back. It is by far the most mainstream release to date and I have wondered if this was intentional or accidental, considering I have read that Caleb wrote most of the songs while on pain meds from a broken shoulder given to him by his brother Nathan, the drummer, during a fist fight.
After their concert here in Columbus I was having a drink at a nearby bar and happen to fall into a conversation with two brothers who had attended the show as well. They told me they had seen KOL perform to 10 people back when they were promoting Y&YM. They were long time fans, but this would certainly be the last KOL concert they would attend. Disgusted by their new found success and longing for the rawness of the older songs, they were done. I asked them if they were the guys who abandoned Metallica when they cut their hair? Being a true fan means letting them grow and go down new avenues with their music. I could certainly understand having this opinion if the new cd just did not work, but it does, it's stellar. Different does not have to be bad. Now with that said, I have to admit I am a bit nervous after hearing that their next cd would be a gospel album. I, of course, will give it a whirl and hope that all their Jesus-loving lyrics aren't lost on this Agnostic girl, but I think I like my KOL dirty:)

1 comment:

  1. What a great write up! I just got a new record player for Christmas, so I've been stuck on old Neil Young and Johnny Cash albums. For the last year or so, I've been stuck in the 60's & 70's with Young, Dylan, Clapton, Fogerty, Hendrix and Janis topping my iPod playlist. Sad to say, but I had all but given up on new music. I'm gonna go out and grab some KOL tracks right now.

    ReplyDelete